What are nature reserves, what are they for? What is the Polistovsky reserve?
The Polistovsky reserve is both a nature protected area of federal significance and the Federal state budgetary institution.
Nature Protected Areas (NPA) - areas of land, water surface and airspace above them, where natural complexes and objects that have special environmental, scientific, cultural, aesthetic, recreational and health significance are situated. They are withdrawn by decisions of public authorities completely or partially from economic use and for which a special protection regime is established.
Protected areas are divided into federal, regional, municipal and local, depending on their departmental subordination and importance. They are divided into nature reserves, national parks, wildlife refugium, nature monuments, and others according to the nature protection regime.
Federal protected areas are united in the system of protected areas of the Russian Federation, which is managed by the Ministry of Natural Resources of Russia.
The purpose of the system of protected areas: to preserve biodiversity and undisturbed ecosystems, ensuring the natural course of natural processes.
Objectives of NPAs:
- preservation of natural complexes, unique and reference natural sites and objects;
- preservation of historical and cultural objects;
- restoration of disturbed natural and historical and cultural complexes and objects;
- organizing and conducting scientific research;
- implementation of environmental monitoring;
- Ecological education and interpretation and the collaboration with the local communities;
- ecological tourism development;
- assistance in the training of environmental protection specialists.
Today, Russia has more than 100 nature reserves, about 50 national parks, more than 70 federal wildlife refugium, about 30 federal nature monuments, and more than 11,500 protected areas of regional and local significance. Russia's NPAs occupy more than 200 million hectares, which makes up 12% of the country's territory.
You can learn more about the system of nature protected areas in our country on a special website of the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment of Russia. The development of Russia's NPA system till 2020 is outlined in the Concept, approved by the decree of the Russian Government in December 22, 2011, № 2322-r.
The main legislative act which regulate the activity of NPAs of all types and levels is the Federal Law No. 33-FZ of March 14, 1995 "About Nature Protected Areas".